Status
Not open for further replies.

Roam

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm new to these forums so just saying hi before I make my post. The following is the diagram of a series transistor regulator. Could anyone explain, what factors here would limit the maximum current that could be supplied by this transistor-regulated supply? Any explanation is greatly appreciated.

**broken link removed**

RL is just some resistive load, Vo is the output.

Essentially the gain of the transistor, Beta
Io = Ie+Ib do kvl of the input section
Ib = (Vin - RzIz - Vz) / Rz
depending on what wattage of zener, choose your max Iz (I=P/Vz)
so Ic = Ib * Beta

In practice you are limited with the zener power handling. Hence in practice a darling-ton pair transistor is used to increase current gain
and so you don't have to operate the zener with it handling/dissipating too much power.

Oh and welcome to this forum:grin:

Reactions: Roam

Roam

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
The regulation is given by de voltage divisor: Vtransistor + Vo = Vcs
First Vcs must be greater than Vo.
Second Vcs is a pulsating voltage that for all situations Vcs must be Vo + Vr min, this Vmin at lest must be 2.4 ans is recomended to be more.
Third the variations depends by the amount of current: for no current no variation, for great amount of current great variations of Vcs.

greetings

Roam

There are also thermal considerations. The junction temperature of the transistor must not be allowed to exceed the maximum rating (Usually 150 or 175 deg C for a silicon transistor.)

Roam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…