Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Seeking help for a 2 lane finish line for cub scouts cubmobi

Status
Not open for further replies.

sporty

Newbie level 1
Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

Im not very electronic smart. Thought someone could help me out.

I am a volunteer on a Cubmobile committee for CUb Scouts.

We have a Cubmobile race coming up.

However we need a finish line (winner)

its a 2 lane race, each lane 4 foot wide.

The 1st car to break the beam, would win, a light should turn on to announce the winner of the lane that one.

I found alot of stuff out there for Pine wood derby races. However, the components and so forth are different.

meaning since the beam has to travel 4 feet in day light and sun. compared to less than 1 foot for a PWD race.

I was hoping someone would be able to tell me what kind of IR diode or laser I should use and strength. and so forth.

Sporty

Re: Seeking help for a 2 lane finish line for cub scouts cub

Hi Sporty,

Nice thing to do - donating some time to kids. I had bad luck with IR in sunlight (I'm not "not very electronic smart" either) when trying to implement a sensor across my garage door. I did manage to get two Pulnix PS-30SE sensors to work though. I got them on eBay for about $35 a set (I think). Bright sunlight can blind an infrared sensor if it isn't compensated very well, even if it is modulated.

Lasers would be a good way to go but they require pretty precise alignment, and all that entails.

Ultrasonics would work very well. Parallax makes a nice unit (it's called the PING) that will work very well across four feet. Put a board across the lane to refelct the sound off of and you're in business. When there is no car, the distance across the lane is fixed. When a car passes, the distance changes. No alignment needed, no sunlight problems. One sensor might interfere with the other but that might not be a problem in just four feet (the beam spreads more the further something is away).

Another idea is to put a photo sensor on the ground pointing up. When a car passes over it, the amount of light it detects is much less which can be easily measured. Here you are also looking for a change - a dramatic decrease from ambient light. Some compensation may be needed for ambient light changes (a sunny day that turns cloudy, for example) but probably not. This is a very easy way of doing it.

Regardless of the detection mechanism used, the electronics will have to decide on the winner or a tie - you've probably already seen that in your pine derby research.

Good luck. Keep us posted. You can email directly if you like.

Vic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back