Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

sd card write noise in ADC

Status
Not open for further replies.

nfdc

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm working on a system which consists on recording data from an external SPI amplifier/ADC into an SD card. The writing of the SD card is generating noise that is being picked up by my amplifier. The amplifier has a 200x gain, the ADC is 16bit and I'm using an STM32f4 MCU to interface between ADC and the SD card.
The SD card creates a 20mV, 4ms, drop in VCC every 19ms, which is the noise I'm seeing on the saved data and oscilloscope probe.

My question is: How do I isolate the noise from the SD card from the ADC/amplifier?

I can't use isolators between main VCC and amplifier/ADC due to space constraints. I have a pi-filter between main VCC and SD card VCC with a cap of 150uF connected to SD card VCC. I'm using a 4 layer PCB with a solid GND and VCC plane.

Any advice/help at all will be appreciated.

I have tried everything I could think of but if someone thinks that I might have forgotten something, please challenge me. I'm not an expert but I have a good knowledge about decouplig, bypassing, pcb layout. I 'm probably missing something very basic but I just can't put a finger in it. I also read many forums on similar issues and tries their solutions but none of them worked so far.

If anyone would like to see the PCB/SCH send me your email and I'll send it to you.
I really need to get rid of this noise because the signals I'm looking at are in the order of 10-300uV in amplitude and this noise is drowning the signal I need.

Best regards,

FdC

Status
Not open for further replies.