Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RTOS selection question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benny

Junior Member level 2
Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
rtos selection

Hi,

Im using in my design PPC405 and considering which RTOS to use,

Im cosidering the following options VX-works and Green-Hills OS's.

Can anyone share with me his/hers thoughts between these two OS's.

Thanks,

Ben.

selection of rtos

Hi Ben,

Does PPC405 is power PC core based SOC. Here the matter is not which RTOS; you have to consider the application and set of interfaces needed for your application based on the requirements and specifications. Then you have to think weather you need really RTOS to design your software; then go for suitable kernel. It's not like vxworks/Greenhill secure kernel is the best and infact you are loosing money for kernel also right?

Feel happy if you could share your thoughts and application with me personaly my id is abid_ms@rediffmail.com

regds..,
abid.

rtos basic question

the basic question is that is the memeory tradeof of ur device .then what features u want in the os to run on the processor .Both RTOS are in commercial domain u can try ucos or freertos which are freely available & it depends on the type of applications u want. the RTOS will generally depend on that

rtos +selection

Well Nikhil,

Let me correct some mistakes in your post.

The uC/OS-II is royalty free. This is correct. But, you will get the RTOS libraries freely for Intel (PC) core which you can use for the simulation of all the Real Time concepts for study purpose.

In practice, you have to pay for the system files when you go for a specific target (as the processor registers will vary). Suppose I go for Rabbit-3000 core, the RTOS files will be diff for boot code as in Intel, for which you have to pay the money. Also, if you need some extra packages like embedded SNMP to implement, you have to purchase this library saparately.

Ya; it's true that RTOS application has to be designed keeping the hard memory constraints and stack size always in mind.

regds..,

Abid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back