Status
Not open for further replies.

misha82

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi i have equipment which has a controller with RS232 comm card. i want to control this equipment from a distance of 150m thro' my desktop, which is not possible with RS232. can u suggest me how can i do this? pls suggest me some link where i can study abt it.
Thank u

so u need a wired connection ! you can build or buy ready made rs232 to rs485 converters, place one at one end and the other near your computer , its range is about 3000 feet!

u can search for the schematic or the ready-made converter !

thanks a lot.......... i have already done it and it working but m looking for other possible options......... can u tell me abt that....... but abt MIL-STD 1553?

thanks a lot.......... i have already done it and it working but m looking for other possible options......... can u tell me abt that....... but abt MIL-STD 1553?

Hi Misha if u want to use MIL 1553B then u r hardwire will change ,and in place of serial cable u need Twinax cables and terminator for the redundant bus and have to take care os your signal propagation delay in cable , its immuned voltage level,need to have a stub, there must have a system acting as BC , ....
so for simple data transmission in lower cost ...MIL 1553B is never preferred, mostly used in Avionics and Marine...as i m working for Marine , I knew this... now u also know ...

I have operated RS232 further than 150metres. However, make sure the voltage is -12volts to +12volts and it is good quality cable

hi horace

What was maximum Baud rate achieved ?

+++

can u tell how u have done it?

hi horace

I did not understand.
Had you used a continous 150m cable lenght, or had to attach the boost repeater refered above ?

+++

it was some time ago when most serial communication used 20 mAmp loop signaling for long distances.
It was RS232 without boosters but the interface had a good +-12 volt swing, similar with the mainframe we were talking too and the cable was good quality. These days I would use an alternative!

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.