Rotation/twisting polarization on RF propagation ?

Externet

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello.
Can the polarization of an emission change during the propagation/transit to the receiving antenna ? What causes it ?

If a signal is transmitted with horizontal polarization antenna, can it show up at the receiving end antenna as vertically polarized, degrading signal capture ? What frequencies, bands are prone to such and are distances a factor ? Is there a technical name for the behavior ?

Found little comments on the subject, and seems it is called 'Faraday rotation' perhaps from the RF crossing trough earth magnetic field ?

le

When radio waves interact with specific materials or travel through different mediums, their polarization can be changed.
In free space, radio waves may change polarization due to: reflection, refraction, diffraction, or scattering.

Faraday rotation is a phenomenon in which the plane of polarization of an electromagnetic wave is rotated as it passes through a magnetic field.
The amount of rotation is dependent on the strength of the magnetic field, the frequency of the radio waves, and the characteristics of the medium.

Hi.
I read about this effect a couple of decades ago and did not follow nor added material to learn more about it since; decided to try to fill some voids now.

Just found an extensive elaborated document, I do not know why plasma is also mentioned, but there is a lot more beyond my understanding in it. I question if the rotation is different for different locations of receivers from varied magnetic field orientations.
If an omnidirectional transmitter is at latitude 0 and longitude 0; is its linear polarization rotation different for receivers located at -say-
- latitude 80N longitude 0 ; and at
- longitude 90W latitude 0.
( Or at north or at west of it )

----> https://academic.oup.com/mnras/article/507/4/4968/6296447