Rms value of polar number in ADS

dolgaleb

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am working on a simulation in ADS to determine voltages and currents. To that end, I decided to do the power budget simulation available in the harmonic balance control. The results from the budget simulation are given in polar form but I need the rms equivalent. I calculated the rms value of a voltage and it coincided with the result in ADS. However, the rms function in ADS also returns an angle. My question is how do you calculate the rms equivalent of a voltage in polar form.

Hi,

I´m not sure .. are you talking about a single frequency or a frequency band?

A single polar (length and angle) frequency ... uses the length to be the peak of a sine.
The RMS of a sine always is 0.707 of the peak.

Klaus

I am working with a single frequency. I agree with your rms calculation but ADS returns a complex number. I have also read that the rms value of a complex is also a complex number. I just don't know how to calculate the phase.

Hi,

RMS meas: Root_Mean_Square
If you square a complex number ... it is not complex anymore. (At least I think so, but I am not 100% sure)

You say it is a polar number ... but polar number is not the same as a complex number.
Indeed I call a complex number a carthesic expression where the real part is on X axis and the imaginary part is on Y axis.

Can it be that you transform a complex number (real, imaginary) into polar (length, angle)?

Klaus

Last edited: