Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rms value of polar number in ADS

dolgaleb

Member level 2
Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am working on a simulation in ADS to determine voltages and currents. To that end, I decided to do the power budget simulation available in the harmonic balance control. The results from the budget simulation are given in polar form but I need the rms equivalent. I calculated the rms value of a voltage and it coincided with the result in ADS. However, the rms function in ADS also returns an angle. My question is how do you calculate the rms equivalent of a voltage in polar form.

Hi,

I´m not sure .. are you talking about a single frequency or a frequency band?

A single polar (length and angle) frequency ... uses the length to be the peak of a sine.
The RMS of a sine always is 0.707 of the peak.

Klaus

I am working with a single frequency. I agree with your rms calculation but ADS returns a complex number. I have also read that the rms value of a complex is also a complex number. I just don't know how to calculate the phase.

Hi,

RMS meas: Root_Mean_Square
If you square a complex number ... it is not complex anymore. (At least I think so, but I am not 100% sure)

You say it is a polar number ... but polar number is not the same as a complex number.
Indeed I call a complex number a carthesic expression where the real part is on X axis and the imaginary part is on Y axis.

Can it be that you transform a complex number (real, imaginary) into polar (length, angle)?

Klaus

Last edited:

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: