Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Removing a source of audio from a recording

Status
Not open for further replies.

rda2008

Newbie level 1
Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am recording audio and there is music in the background. Is it possible to remove the music if I have the exact music file that was being played? I want to subtract the music so I can better hear and analyze the other sounds in the recording.

Thanks.

Theoretically is it possible to do this. I believe it will be a lot of work.

You'll need to align the music waveforms. You'll need to find a distinctive moment in the music, so distinctive that you can pinpoint the exact corresponding moment in the other waveform.

If they stay in time-sync, then the rest is easy. However you ought to watch carefully as to whether they get out of sync. Then you'll need to re-align the waveforms.

If they stay in time-sync, then the rest is easy.
Actually, the rest is extremely difficult.
The problem is that the waveform of the signal produced by the recording microphone is very different to the waveform of the signal sent to the loudspeaker playing the music. The main reasons are:
1) The loudspeaker and microphone don't have flat frequency responses.
2) Only part of the sound picked up by the microphone comes directly from the loudspeaker. Much of it reaches the microphone after reflecting off walls, floor, ceiling etc. So the microphone is picking up a mixture of the direct sound from the speaker and dozens of copies of it, each of which has been delayed a different amount. The reflected sounds will also have had their frequency responses changed in different ways, and will be attenuated by different amounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back