Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Recommended current limiting resistor for a 2.3inch 16 segment LED display

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrianpcb

Newbie level 3
Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,
I'm working on a 16 segment LED display from Kingbright (PSC23-11SRWA) with the following characteristics
Forward Voltage = 3.9V @ I = 20mA

My Power Supply Voltage is 24V.

For a single LED segment, the limiting resistor value would be as follows

R = (24V - 3.9V) / 20mA = 1.00kohms, correct?

What about all the segments together?
I saw a similar board with the limiting resistors for each segment as (red,red,red,silver) which is 2.2Kohm. Any idea why we would use such a high value resistor?

My question is, what is the current limiting resistor I should use for this 16 segment LED display?

Thanks

Last edited:

You ought to consider driving it from 5V and subtract the driver drops to leave a resistor drop with 20mA and use Ohm's Law.

24V would be a waste of power.

Hi SunnySkyguy,
That would make sense, however, as the incoming power supply is already 24V, I can't change that unless I were to add in a voltage divider.
By the way, from what I saw on the existing board, each LED segment has it's own current limiting resistor (2.2kohm).
From my calculations, I should be using a 1k ohm resistor~1.1kohm but I'd like to know why would someone use a 2.2kohm resistor?
The board is actually the LED display board used to display the floor number in an elevator/lift.
Thanks,

Test, if the brightness of LEDs at 10mA (2k2) is enough. If it is, you don’t have to drive them with 20mA (1k) …
:wink:
IanP

Reactions: tpetar

tpetar

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.