Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Really a project problem.Don't know where to post

Status
Not open for further replies.

tofinhk

Member level 1
Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dears,

I don't know where to post this message. If I post on the wrong place, please move this thread to a suitable place, thank you.

I am doing my Final year project. I use Analog Devices ADuC812 as the microcontroller to receive 3 channels of the analog signal, and convert to the digital signals. Then, I have to transfer the signal to PPC/Palm. (Actually, I want to collect the signal outdoor and do analysis in PC)
As the data size is not small, I need a PPC/Palm with external memory(SD/CF).
However, I don't know how to communicate with PPC/Palm. I have to write a program with receive the signal from serial port and store it to external memory.
I think several ideas to solve the problem, but both of the ideas raise other problems.

1. Use Palm with Serial Port. However, Palm with serial port are all old models and no external memory.
2. Use PPC with Serial Port. I got a HP JORNADA 680e with CF slot and serial port, but i can't find sufficient materials/documents for me to write a program.
3. Use Palm/PPC with USB. No serial port, but I think I can use serial to USB chip. However, I can't find a chip that is easy to driven by 8051 or even no need to drive it.

May I ask which one I should use ? and why ?

Thanks in advance.

I think the 3rd option will be the best!
Requires little hardwork. U can search for Serial to USB chips on net!
Try to compress the data before saving it into memory.

The thing with usb-to-serial convertors is that they may not have readily available drivers for Palm/PPC. (And this is almost always true)

If you ask me, if you do have access to a PDA with serial port, then that's the ideal solution. A somewhat messier but feasible solution is to use IrDA, which should be present on most PDAs.

Maybe you can use the Palm Serial HotSync Cable (P10804U) which is compatible with the following models: Tungsten, m500, i705, Zire 71.

I guess, the driver for this cable is in the Palm because the Hotsync software in the PC must be configured to "Serial".

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back