Question of inverting and noninverting node of a diff Amp with active current mirror

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhl777

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, would someone help me in understanding the inverting and non-inverting nodes of the following schematic?
The input differential stage has an active current mirror, node 2 and 3 are the input nodes. node 2 has an DC+AC signal and node 3 is a pure DC signal as Vbias.
I am trying to find out which node is the inverting node and which one is the non-inverting node, but it seems like the explanation of different analog books are not the same.
This is my question:
1. generally we think the output node of the differential input stage is at the side of inverting input node. By this definition, since node 4 is at the same side of node 2, then node 2 should be "-", while node 3 should be "+".
2. However, it is clear in this circuit VS1 at node 2 is the input, while node 3 is just a fixed reference. So from the functionality node 2 should be "+", while node 3 should be "-".
How does this paradox happen? Thank you!

Hi,

To find the inverting and non inverting node: just imagine to increase the voltage of one node.
If the output voltage increases also, then it is the non inverting input.

Klaus

Reactions: bhl777

bhl777

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
1. generally we think the output node of the differential input stage is at the side of inverting input node. By this definition, since node 4 is at the same side of node 2, then node 2 should be "-", while node 3 should be "+".
This is correct - for the usual definition of a positive ac signal output. From base input to collector output you always have signal inversion.

2. However, it is clear in this circuit VS1 at node 2 is the input, while node 3 is just a fixed reference. So from the functionality node 2 should be "+", while node 3 should be "-".
Depends what "functionality" means: If the functionality of the circuit is to get a negative ac signal output, node 2 would be the "+" input.

No paradox!

Reactions: bhl777

bhl777

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…