Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Programming error at 0000

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvlee

Newbie level 3
Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Got a program to compile finally for this VFD project ( after forever ). Now I get this error message 'PROGRAMMING ERROR AT 0000' on using the EPIC WIN software having previously thought I was successful in uploading a number of different programs to PIC18F458 MCU using the software obtained from melab. Checked the readme text information, and this refers to power supply issues to an actual programmer, or the low voltage programming option pin not grounded. I grounded RB5 via a 100k resistor, unchecked the enable low voltage programming option, kept power supply to the board and vcc sitting at the required 16VDc and 5VDc resp., but noticed the voltage on the MCLR programming pin around 5V, which should get up to around 13V during upload. Not sure what could be causing this. Another thing, was wondering if modifying epic.ini and the parameter ProgTime to a higher value (as suggested) would have any effect on programming.
Can anyone tell me what I'm missing to get my program onto the MCU?

Hi,

It sounds like you are doing the right things, but your comments about having uploaded programs before, did they actually run in the chip ?

Perhaps you should try proving things by programming up a simple flashing led and making sure it works ok.

Most of that type of programmer do have some form of timing adjustments, however no idea how it works on that program, you may just have to try a few points above and a few below to find a value that works.

One thing not mentioned is the length of the cable from the pc to the pic programmer, the shorter the better, if you are using a long 1.5 or 2 meter cable try an find something shorter as the signals can be affeced in such long cables.

You do not mention what your hardware is, I assume a dev board with either a serial or parallel programmer ?

Have not used that software which seems like its a limited free trial version of a purchaseable product.

Perhaps try one of these fully free software programmers, WinPic and PicAll, both of which I have used, found WinPic better.
Also look at WinPicProg and PonyProg

Reactions: dvlee

dvlee

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.