Status
Not open for further replies.

jatink007

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
please help me wit the programmer for pic18f87j50! and also how to use the bootloader thing in it?

Hi,

You need to buy or build a Microchip Pickit2 or Pickit3 programmer.

A bootloader is a program that is first programmed into the chip that then allows your program code to be downloaded from the PC without a programmer.
Search this forum or Google for the code and details of Pic Bootloaders

thanks...is the circuit diagram available?..where can i get it?

Hi,

Just look in this forum there are loads of details of building a Pickit2 clone - full projects with pcb layouts etc - the only catch is you need to program its microchip 18F2550 to start with ! - though you can build a simple parallel port programmer to do that if no one nearby can program it for you.

programming pic 2550 can be done by JDM programmer? i made one to program 16f877 though........thanx a lot!!!!

Hi,
Be careful about the Pickit2 clones which are available in this site,as wp100 said,some of them will not work with 3.3v chips,for example Pickit2 Lite version can only program 5v chips.
Be successful.

Hi,
Be careful about the Pickit2 clones which are available in this site,as wp100 said,some of them will not work with 3.3v chips,for example Pickit2 Lite version can only program 5v chips.
Be successful.

Hi,

I didn't actually say that, so would just like to say that you can program 3.3v volt chips with the most basic Pk2 clone as long as you use either methods as explained in that other thread.
Basically you must power the 3.3v chip with 3.3v before connecting the 5v PK2 clone or you simply run the whole of the clone on a 3.3v regulator.

Its not an ideal way to program 3.3v chips but at least does allow you to program them.

Although the cost of the parts to build your own clone is low, it can often work out cheaper and better to buy a genuine ready made Microchip Pickit2.

I bought one from Microchip but also build a clone for the challenge and as a backup to the original.

Hi dear wp100,
I made the pickit2 lite,although i tried a lot,i couldn't program a 3.3v chip with both option which you said,as a result,i made a ICD2 clone,but it didn't work as well.
there are lots of links and clones in this site,would you please put a workable schematic link for programming 3.3v chips here?
Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Thats strange, I don't see how you could program chips at 5v ok yet not do so at 3v3 using the two methods detailed in that earlier post.

Assume you are doing 3v3 chips using PK2 V2.61 and not via MPlab ?

I have only programmed a couple of Pic24s this way, which chips are you trying to porgram ?

The simplest way is to first connect the target chip to its own 3v3 power supply, you then connect all 5 programming pins from the PK2 to it and simply program as normal. It is a while since I did it, but you may have to change Tools / Target Vdd Source to Force Target rather than auto detect.

The other way is simply to put the incomming +5v USB voltage into a 3v3 regulator and power the whole PK2 clone circuit from that, then the PK2 can safely power the target chip with that 3v3 (though it will still say 5v on the Vdd box )

This is my circuit virtually the same as Bluerooms PK2Lite ( in his circuit he specifes a ferrite but it is not really needed )

Have never tried an ICD2, seems the Pk2 clone is so much simpler and better.

Attachments

• minipk2.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 109

Hi,
I've made exactly the same "Bluerooms PK2Lite" and also i've used both methods,a 3.3v regulator after 5v of USB and 3.3v regulator in the circuit of my chip,but none of them worked and there was a VPP error.
I also checked it with MPLAB.
My chip was 18f67J50.
Best regards.

Hi,

Well as you move on to more complex chips there is so much more to learn about controlling them.

Have not used that series of chip, but when using the Pic24 chips you have to write into the config statement which one of the three pairs of programming lines you want to program the chip with !

While the diy Pk2s are good for what they are and for getting you going on the simpler Pics, perhaps now is the time for you to buy a genuine Microchip PK2 or PK3 if you want to be future proof.

The Microchip PK2 was the best thing I bought in a long time, well worth the money.

i have a ICD2 programmer version dv164007. can it be used to program 18f87j50? a 3.3v device?

i have a ICD2 programmer version dv164007. can it be used to program 18f87j50? a 3.3v device?

Hi,

All you need do is open your Mplab project, goto - Configure - Select Device - then select your chip, the 18F87J50, then check the window below for the green lights against ICD2

Hi,
It should work with 18F87j50, as it says:
2. This wll work for any pic (5 and 3.3V devices)

You have to program the 18F2550 using the hex file from the Microchip site with another programmer.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

thanks a lot!!! i am a nubie and not sure how to use it....should i use the VDD delivering version or the previous one in which i hav to give external supply to the device?

---------- Post added at 12:21 ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 ----------

there are some crosses in the design on the emmiter of transistor q5 and some other pins? do we have to connect it like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.