Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Supply Advice Please

Deltatango

Member level 1
Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have made a newer version of my battery powered power supply, my old one was a LM317 with 10x AA batteries with variable output worked well but needed a bit more voltage.

Building around a China made kit on sale with 2A output and 24v AC input, while I would not always need that power for my service work on small items, I will power it also with AA's as they are cheap using mid range brands. My question is :-

1) 24v battery pack direct.
2) 24v battery pack feeding a DC-DC step up covering input voltage drop off as they tire.
3) 12v battery pack (x2) feeding a DC-DC step up which also covers battery fade but has more current for the converter.

Thanks for any insights and thoughts :unsure:

David

In my mind I've dreamed of building step-up converters that let me put one battery in devices that run on 3 or 4 cells. Incandescent flashlights, LED flashlights, a clock, a thermometer... I could deliver the full voltage the device needs, with only the one cell to test and/or replace. However there's the headache of fabricating an enclosure for such circuits. It ought to be a small battery-shaped shell whose electrical contacts match a battery and also the ends of the compartment.

You might manage okay with a few cells and a buck-boost converter. And with less wasted power. As you know the 317 regulator is resistive drop. And doesn't the 317 subtract a volt or two?

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: