Power-over-Ethernet is there standard for 5 or 3.3 V ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom_hanks

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Power-over-Ethernet

Hi Fellomates,
i need some information related to POE.

according to IEEE802.3af 48v can be used on pins 7 & 8..
but if i need 3.3v and 5v then is there any provision or standard is there..??

plz put some focus on present progress on POE..

TIA

You would use a switching power supply to convert the 48V to 3.3/5 with high efficiency.
You can either use one of your own design, or use an encapsulated DC-DC converter module.
Since Ethernet cabling is relatively thin, it's not a good idea to try running 5V over it directly.
Using a high voltage at a low current lets you get a higher wattage out of the cable.
If you try running the same wattage with a high current at 5V, the cable will drop voltage like crazy.
Note that your DC-DC converter should be of the isolated type for safety reasons.

Re: Power-over-Ethernet

Is there a reference design or an application note regarding PoE and its components?

Some documentations:

hxxp://www.fairchildsemi.com/an/AB/AB-44.pdf
hxxp://focus.ti.com/lit/an/slyt085/slyt085.pdf
hxxp://www.transition.com/TransitionNetworks/Resources/EN/PDF/PowerOverEthernet.pdf

cristi

alexz said:
Is there a reference design or an application note regarding PoE and its components?
Please explore the website of MAXIM, TI, NS as well as ST. I personally think TI play a major role in PoE field. Current af standard is matuar, but the higher power at standard is not finalized yet.

See attachment. Could be something like this. 48V need in order to reduce current. So it is best to source 48V and have DC/DC on the other side.

Many PD chips has already integrated DC/DC controller, even high side MOSFET.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…