Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Plotting E-Plane and H-Plane in MATLAB - Error: Invalid parameter '0 ...'.

Esperado45

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,

I am attempting to plot the E-Plane and H-Plane for a patch antenna in MATLAB using derived equations.

I am having trouble with an error at the very end of my script that says: - Error: Invalid parameter '0 ...'.

The issue I am having is that I am trying to plot a function with "two variables" (theta and phi) in MATLAB. Since I am also declaring my "theta" and "phi" as "symbolic" variables (syms), I can't use the regular "plot" functions. I've tried using "fplot", but I kept running into the "Invalid parameter '0 ...'." error.

I am assuming an infinite ground plane for this patch antenna.

My MATLAB code is attached. See the .zip file below. This is my attempt so far.
Plotting_E_Plane_H_Plane_Patch_Antenna.zip

Just as some background, this is how I derived my equations for E-Plane and H-Plane. See the screenshots below. I am utilizing the "stationary phase integration" method to derive and calculate my E-Fields.

1720293439985.png

1720293550439.png

1720294616243.png

I found E(theta), and E(phi) using the matrices above, did the conjugates for both, and then plugged them into my code to find the radiation intensity.
The Radiation Intensity becomes:
1720293492325.png

For the E-Plane, I will plot:
1720293599350.png

For the H-Plane, I will plot:
1720293626529.png

Attachments

• 1720293469140.png
    1720293469140.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 61
  • Plotting_E_Plane_H_Plane_Patch_Antenna.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I have made some progress. I got rid of the error. However, I am getting "zero" values for my plots for the E-Plane and H-Plane plots. This is where I am seeking help in terms of the "conceptual" or perhaps analytical reasoning for this patch antenna. This has to do with the derivation for the patch antenna E-Fields.

I've tried looking through and I haven't found an "algebraic" error or conceptual error that is causing everything to go to zero at the very end.

See the updated code attached:
Plotting_E_Plane_H_Plane_Patch_Antenna.zip

Attachments

• Plotting_E_Plane_H_Plane_Patch_Antenna.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 51

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back