Not open for further replies.

fengland

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
This is my first post. Apologies if similar questions have been asked - I couldn't find anything directly related while searching.
I'm a professional programmer and an electronic musician and I work on electronic projects for fun, but I want to get more serious about hardware design, specifically audio hardware. I've done a bunch of midi devices with AVRs and built an analog synth.
Now I want to work on a sampler workstation project, something similar to an Akai MPC or Ensoniq ASR-X but with updated specs and features. I'm looking for recommendations on a platform to look at. I'm a linux guy and I'd rather not be locked in to one company's products, so the more open the better, but I also don't want to do everything from scratch. A cheap development platform would be great too, like under $100. I need 8 16 bit audio outs, 2 ins, be able to interface midi, connect to some kind of simple display, flash memory, 100M of ram or so. I want it to feel like a hardware device, not a computer in a box, so quick boot time. I was taking a look at the blackfin uCLinux boards which looked nice. Recomendations of where to start or platforms/processors people like? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.