Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

platform recommendations for audio sampler project

Status
Not open for further replies.

fengland

Newbie level 1
Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
This is my first post. Apologies if similar questions have been asked - I couldn't find anything directly related while searching.
I'm a professional programmer and an electronic musician and I work on electronic projects for fun, but I want to get more serious about hardware design, specifically audio hardware. I've done a bunch of midi devices with AVRs and built an analog synth.
Now I want to work on a sampler workstation project, something similar to an Akai MPC or Ensoniq ASR-X but with updated specs and features. I'm looking for recommendations on a platform to look at. I'm a linux guy and I'd rather not be locked in to one company's products, so the more open the better, but I also don't want to do everything from scratch. A cheap development platform would be great too, like under $100. I need 8 16 bit audio outs, 2 ins, be able to interface midi, connect to some kind of simple display, flash memory, 100M of ram or so. I want it to feel like a hardware device, not a computer in a box, so quick boot time. I was taking a look at the blackfin uCLinux boards which looked nice. Recomendations of where to start or platforms/processors people like? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.