Permanent and electromagnet interaction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eagledot

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Permanent- and electromagnet interaction?

Is it possible to put DC through the electromagnet such that a force occurs that will force the permanent magnet away from the electromagnet ..?

(Permanent magnet to the left. Electromagnet to the right. Movement along the arrow. Wiring in red.)

The idea is to attach a spring that will push the permanent magnet towards the electromagnet. But when DC is run through the electromagnet it should repel the permanent magnet. A fail safe such that when power is lost. The parts end up touching each other. All movement in the direction of the arrow.

The reason for asking is that I suspect the magnets "wants" to complete a magnetic circuit. And thus will attract on power, not repel. No equipment atm to test with. I know it's basic but I want to be sure.

Last edited:

Re: Permanent- and electromagnet interaction?

I would suggest that you stop deep thinking and try an experiment. Electromagnet as well as a permanent magnet have its "north" and "south" pole on any end given the DC current direction. So you can attract or repel the magnet by an electromagnet as you want. All DC motors with permanent magnets use this principle (and those with electromagnets, too).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…