Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] PCB trace critical length...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapphire_2010

Member level 5
Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Microstrip on the outer layer shares the relative dielectric constant of the PCB and air on the other side. Stripline has the PCB dielectric on both sides.

Because of the influence of air, microstrip uses a lower effective Er, which may be around 80% of Er and only slightly influenced by geometry. Since stripline is slower, it has a 24% longer wavelength (1/~80%)

ref Saturn PCB Toolkit

Max conductor length is often quoted from 10 to 20% of wavelength and depends if the load is not matched then two path lengths are important.

Thus 1/15th of the wavelength of the signal is recommended according to IPC-2251.

Your link recommends the delay line should not exceed 1/2 of the risetime (10~90%)

If I make the delay equal to the rise time, the signal starts to ring when loaded by a CMOS gate capacitance but looks damped when loaded near Zo.

My Sig Gen assumes high-speed CMOS with 1ns rise time. with Zout = 22~23 ohms
Using 10 MHz with d.f = 10% for a 10 ns pulse width and BW = 0.34/10ns = 34 MHz

1723248494351.png

This would be acceptable for B. and overshoot would be clamped better than shown by CMOS ESD/SCR protection.

1nF 1ohm to simulate CMOS Miller capacitance amplified with 1ns = Tr

If too long, probes will ring from ground clip inductance and capture similar ringing due to probe capacitance and excess gnd length > 1cm.

Now using 100 MHz 20% = 2 ns PW on 1 ns delay line is the limit of length for unterminated lines on CMOS. The number of gates will limit the BW and risetime on the CMOS driver.

1723250095985.png

Last edited:
Microstrip on the outer layer shares the relative dielectric constant of the PCB and air on the other side. Stripline has the PCB dielectric on both sides.

Because of the influence of air, microstrip uses a lower effective Er, which may be around 80% of Er and only slightly influenced by geometry. Since stripline is slower, it has a 24% longer wavelength (1/~80%)

ref Saturn PCB Toolkit

Max conductor length is often quoted from 10 to 20% of wavelength and depends if the load is not matched then two path lengths are important.

Thus 1/15th of the wavelength of the signal is recommended according to IPC-2251.

Your link recommends the delay line should not exceed 1/2 of the risetime (10~90%)

If I make the delay equal to the rise time, the signal starts to ring when loaded by a CMOS gate capacitance but looks damped when loaded near Zo.

My Sig Gen assumes high-speed CMOS with 1ns rise time. with Zout = 22~23 ohms
Using 10 MHz with d.f = 10% for a 10 ns pulse width and BW = 0.34/10ns = 34 MHz

View attachment 192964

This would be acceptable for B. and overshoot would be clamped better than shown by CMOS ESD/SCR protection.

1nF 1ohm to simulate CMOS Miller capacitance amplified with 1ns = Tr

If too long, probes will ring from ground clip inductance and capture similar ringing due to probe capacitance and excess gnd length > 1cm.

Now using 100 MHz 20% = 2 ns PW on 1 ns delay line is the limit of length for unterminated lines on CMOS. The number of gates will limit the BW and risetime on the CMOS driver.

View attachment 192965

Hi Tony,
Thanks for your detailed explanation.
I agree that outer layer share air and PCB dielectric at the same time, so there will be an effective Er (approx ~ 0.64*Er + 0.36). Regarding Saturn toolkit, i think it is good to kick start. But i am confused on what "Sr" Factor should be used .....or what lambda factor should be more appropriate, as there are multiple choices? any suggestions?

Attachments

• saturn_snap.png
    saturn_snap.png
    166.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Hi Tony,
Thanks for your detailed explanation.
I agree that outer layer share air and PCB dielectric at the same time, so there will be an effective Er (approx ~ 0.64*Er + 0.36). Regarding Saturn toolkit, i think it is good to kick start. But i am confused on what "Sr" Factor should be used .....or what lambda factor should be more appropriate, as there are multiple choices? any suggestions?
These are two criteria (time and wavelength)

1. Sr=Slew Rate method means choose path length by ratio of rise time which affects residual amplitude error from reflection.

Note Sr=1.0 with Tr=1ns and Td=1ns
1723504633053.png

In my method with a mismatched load I used Sr =1ns/1ns = 1.0 A shorter delay is recommended as you can see the noise for Sr<0.5
Review my answer again

The other method correlates due to the conversion of rise time to the shortest wavelength.

These are two criteria (time and wavelength)

1. Sr=Slew Rate method means choose path length by ratio of rise time which affects residual amplitude error from reflection.

Note Sr=1.0 with Tr=1ns and Td=1ns
View attachment 193008
In my method with a mismatched load I used Sr =1ns/1ns = 1.0 A shorter delay is recommended as you can see the noise for Sr<0.5
Review my answer again

The other method correlates due to the conversion of rise time to the shortest wavelength.
Thanks for your help Tony, I got your point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back