Not open for further replies.

sakibnaz

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all.

I am using Altium Designer for PCB design. For my Design, I want to use Polygon Pour. I would like to have your advice regarding my below queries:

- For Polygon, whats the basic idea to use it? I mean ... how I can divide Polygon ... where I'll use VCC Plane and where GND Plane?
- If I use TOP Layer Plane for VCC and BOTTOM Layer for GND ... will it be a problem (due to any Capacitance generation issue)?
- Is 10mil Clearance good for PCB which contains supply of +12V (3AMPH), +5V (1.5AMPH) and +3.3V (500mAMPH)? Or better to create separate clearance or each Voltage Line?
- Generally we always use thick power Traces. Is is also better to use thick GND Traces or GND Traces can be thin?

Thanks.

Sakibnaz.

Hello Dear Sakibnaz
At first step , i want describe , the aim of polygon : It depends on you circuit parameters , for example : frequency of operation , voltage value , current value , sensitivity , Signal / noise Ratio / and some other things .

ok , for more information about , polygon , can you tell me about the frequency of operation of your circuit , please?
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Thanks very much for your prompt reply.

My design is ATMel AT91SAM7S64 MCU based which is using XTAL of 18.432MHz.

Sakibnaz.

Ok , at first , looking , it appears it supply voltage is simple DC . but it is not correct . because the frequency of current will be about 18.432MHZ . thus you should connect a capacitor from DC supply to the VCC pin of IC , nearby of that .
Ok lets come back to the polygon issue : at high frequencies it is better to use continuous polygon . but your frequency is not very high . so you can use a simple polygon , with windows ( at high frequencies , it should not has windows ) . and you'll need to connect your ground to the polygon .( the microcontrollers are sensible to noise ) thus you can protect your circuit from the area noise . if your area has many noise that produced by machines ( the places , for instance , factories ) , you can use two layer board , that it's second layer is just polygon , that connected to the ground , to be ensure that noises can't destroy the behaviour of your circuit.
Good luck
Goldsmith

Dear Goldsmith.

Yes the design is 2-Layer.

- So, will I use GND Plane for both TOP and BOTTOM Layer?
- If I use VCC for TOP Layer Plane and GND for BOTTOM Layer Plane .... then will it be a problem?

Sakibnaz.

Yes . and as i know you should not use vcc as polygon , because the noises can permeable on that .

Two layer digital, copper pour GND top and bottom and add loads of stiching vias. Run power with thick traces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…