PCB coil design

the8thhabit

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I am designing coil PCB using TI coil designer.
I want to design a coil using series resonant capacitors in a wireless power transmission system, as shown in the circuit diagram below.

The first picture is coil with resonant capacitor which I want to design.
And second, third picture is the coil that I designed using TI coil designer.
I used 2 layers and total inductance is 2.02uH. Also LC sensor capacitance is 150pF which is resonant capacitor Ctx in the picture.
The second picture is the top and the third is the bottom layer.

I wonder if I designed the capacitor in series with the coil properly.

Attachments

• 캡처.PNG
    13.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 캡처2.PNG
    47.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 캡처3.PNG
    47.3 KB · Views: 15

Why are you talking about "sensor capacitance"?
Presume you want to operate at 9 MHz because it's the nominal resonance frequency of 150 pF and 2 uH series circuit. Actual resonance frequency may be slightly different due to parasitic coil capacitance and deviation of designed inductance.

Consider that capacitor has a maximum voltage rating that may be easily exceeded in a series resonant circuit. How much generator power do you want to apply? To maximize power transfered to the load (what is it?), a matching circuit may be required.

You designed half of the inductor on the top side of the PCB and half of the inductor on the bottom side of the PCB, right underneath.
Probably you did this to increase the inductance for the same area on the PCB, but for a wireless power system I think is better that the inductor to be printed only on one side of the PCB, even this will take more space.

Thanks for your reply!
Am I right in understanding that it is better to use only 1 layer instead of 2 layers?
If it is 2 layer , is there any problem with the PCB coil connected in series with the capacitor in the picture to work properly?
And I want to know why it is better to print inductor on one side.