Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Particle in Finite Potential Well

Status
Not open for further replies.

arafatsagar

Junior Member level 1
Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have simulated an electron with MATLAB inside a 0.4nm box with 75eV potential barrier. I found the following wavefunction shapes

fig2_4.jpg

Electron has a certain probability to be found outside the box, though it does not have enough energy to overcome the barrier potential. My question is, Can electron escape outside completely? Or it will try to come back to the box again, a the potential inside the box is low? What is the probability that the electron will escape forever? if it does not escape, what does the 'probability of finding the electron outside' (tunneling) actually mean?

... what does the 'probability of finding the electron outside' (tunneling) actually mean?

It means you'd find the electron outside in "probability-number" of cases after many measurements (which cause the wavefunction to break down).
I.e. at a probability of -- say -- 3% , in 3 of 100 measurements.

BTW: I think you better ask such questions in the Math & Physics forum.

thank you very much. in fact i am quite clear now and my own question seems to be a very elementary to me now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back