Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Optimization in ADS

sas1014

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to simulate 1D nonlinear periodic electrical networks with spatially-discrete unit cells in ADS Harmonic balance simulation. I want to run an optimization on circuit parameters such that spectral power in each of the first 5 harmonics is no less than −6 dB with respect to the fundamental frequency, f = 500 MHz. Could you please tell me how can I run the optimization with this specific goal? How to set the goals? Is there any equation that I need to write? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Several questions gathered in one post. Can you take this in smaller steps?

How much progress did you make in ADS so far?
Can you post a schematic?
Can you post code?
Is this specific to ADS? Or is it a question of circuit topology? Or is it a question of component arrangements? Or is it a question of component values?

Several questions gathered in one post. Can you take this in smaller steps?

How much progress did you make in ADS so far?
Can you post a schematic?
Can you post code?
Is this specific to ADS? Or is it a question of circuit topology? Or is it a question of component arrangements? Or is it a question of component values?
This is the picture of 1D nonlinear periodic electrical networks with spatially-discrete unit cells. I have also attached the schematic of what I have drawn based on the unit cell of the paper and tried to solve with Pfc function. In the paper, the genetic algorithm optimization routine available in the MATLAB Global Optimization Toolbox is used such that spectral power in each of the first 5 harmonics is no less than −6 dB with respect to the fundamental frequency, f = 500 MHz. I want to do the optimization in ADS. Could you please tell me how to set up goals/expression so that spectral power in each of the first 5 harmonics is no less than −6 dB with respect to the fundamental frequency? Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-25 011943.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-25 011943.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 25
Hhmmm, I say "hmmm" at seeing so many LC tanks, "That's a lot of opportunities for ringing". Do you wish to minimize ringing? Then put resistors within the loops. Ohmic resistance reduces Q and serves as a damper.

Or do you wish to encourage ringing? Then customize coil and capacitor values to the amount of current available. If you wish to make the LC tank ring at a certain frequency there is a standard formula. At the same time determine the proper L:C ratio to suit your purpose and ring at your chosen frequency.

Large Henry value is associated with lower frequency, low Amperes.
X=2πfL

Large Farad value is associated with Low freq, high Amperes.
X=1/(2πfC)

Sorry, I have no experience with ADS.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: