Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Optical vs Electrical Bandwidth

Status
Not open for further replies.

wafi_zuhdi

Newbie level 6
Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm a little confused about the difference between optical bandwidth and electrical bandwidth. The -3db optical bandwidth = -6db electrical bandwidth if i'm correct?

for the sake of argument, let say i'm measuring the bandwidth of an LED using a photodiode. the mesurement i'm getting from the photodiode is the electrical signal rather the optical signal. So the bandwidth of the LED would be the signal's -6db attenuation i'm getting from the photodiode. Am I correct? or do i get this totally wrong?

thanks

Re: optical vs electrical bandwidth

• The electrical bandwidth or -3dBe of the detector is then defined as the frequency at which the electrical power spectrum drops to 50% (or -3 dB) of its value at DC.
  • Since the output current, or voltage, is proportional to input optical power, the point at which the voltage spectrum falls to 50% of its DC value is known as the optical bandwidth, or -3dBo.

Thus,in electrical regime the 3db bandwidth may be defined by the frequency when the output current has dropped to 1/sqrt(2) of the i/p current of system.

So,depends on frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back