Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Offline isolated 25W flyback with common mode choke "bypassed"?

cupoftea

Advanced Member level 6
Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Due to space constraints, I had to put the NTC further "downstream" from the mains input connector
than the common mode choke. So NTC is actually right by the 400V post rectifier electrolytic cap.
But I wanted to actually connect the NTC "upstream" of the input X2 capacitor. Because then the NTC
offers some mains transient protection to the X2 capacitor, meaning the PSU will likely last longer.
So I indeed connected the NTC "upstream" of the X2 capacitor, and to do so, the Line input then goes
wandering off up the PCB, past the common mode choke, and obviously the PCB track out of this NTC then
comes all the way back to the input, again passing the Common mode choke. As such, unfortunately,
any common mode noise could now simply avoid the common mode choke and "bypass" it via the described connections.
Would you agree that a good mitigation for this would be to add another small, very high frequency common mode choke near the mains input connector? (we may just be able to find room there for a small one)

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: