Not open for further replies.

mf18

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I' am not sure that it's proper place to my post... I'm looking for any adventages and disadventages of NMEA 0183 protocol and SiRF binary protocol. I will be codnig an application using one of them, but at first I have to compare it and choose one. Do you have any ideas how to compare both protocols? Maybe someone of you have any materials about it? It's a topic of my graduate project. Thanks for you reply.

hi mf18,
between NMEA and Sirf, i think NMEA is better for simple reason tht it will give you sentences which are easy to parse/extract.

Hi veeraj,
I agree with You, but I need some scientific proofs such as comparision, tests etc. I have specification of both protocols, but I don't have any ideas how to proof, that the first protocol is better than second one and vice versa in specific solution...maybe You've heard about some papers or litarture about it??

Hii,

I have module GPS and it includes two output NMEA 0283 and SIRF binary . I think this 2 data is standard ouput for GPS, you can use both of them and I think the result will be same. But I use NMEA instead, cause it's more simple for extracting the data.

Hi, the_balistic, could you give me a name of your gps module? What do you think guys, if I'd like compare both protocols - what kind of simple test can I do? What kind of hardware I need? Maybe there is a special software to test GPS chips??

Hii,

I use this modul :

EG-T10 GPS Receiver Module MCX it cost abaout $90. You can buy it from digi-ware.com (indonesia site).

What kind of simple test ?

1. If you are using PC you must have level converter (RS-232 ) cause the output of the GPS is TTL Level

2. if tou are using Micro you can connect directrly to GPS

(be carefull,read the datasheet corectly)

I think it's easy enough. I think this simple algorithm I use :
example:
1. Get Input and then check input until GPGGA
2. Get input store at the arrayt variabel(datagpgga) until the last character was received

and the you can decode the data ( see the NMEA standar )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…