Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Network analyzer using PIC 16f877a.

Status
Not open for further replies.

demetal

Full Member level 5
Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I want to design a network analyzer using pic 16f877a with an interface to the computer to run a gui to display the results... For this i need your valuable suggestions...

Please help.

Hey demetal,

While the project sounds like a good idea, it might need to be scoped with a little more detail - it's like saying you want to build a racing car around a spark plug!

The 16F877A is a nifty controller, but even at this stage I'd be skeptical of its utility in a VNA design, primarily due to it's limited (RAM) memory. Since you'd probably want to store many sample points, configuration data etc, I'd opt for a micro with a greater dataspace... and in all honesty I'd probably reach for a DSP with an external memory interface. (Not to mention the '877's best "PC interface" is probably its UART. The PIC18F4550 features as many IO's and a USB interface to boot...)

The micro is an incidental part of the design though - the heart of a network analyser is in its reflection bridges, synthesisers, gain and phase measurement engines etc. I presume you're planning an RF design? (There are a few audio/LF designs on the 'net) What frequency range? Thanks to the wireless revolution, there's a bunch of RF IC's available that would make a low cost DC-2.5GHz design quite plausible.

Good luck!

Hi,

I am not sure about the design... but i want to measure the parameters related to RF like s-parameter , antenna design parameters etc. .... Is it possible...?

---------- Post added at 15:28 ---------- Previous post was at 15:18 ----------

Hey demetal,

While the project sounds like a good idea, it might need to be scoped with a little more detail - it's like saying you want to build a racing car around a spark plug!

The 16F877A is a nifty controller, but even at this stage I'd be skeptical of its utility in a VNA design, primarily due to it's limited (RAM) memory. Since you'd probably want to store many sample points, configuration data etc, I'd opt for a micro with a greater dataspace... and in all honesty I'd probably reach for a DSP with an external memory interface. (Not to mention the '877's best "PC interface" is probably its UART. The PIC18F4550 features as many IO's and a USB interface to boot...)

The micro is an incidental part of the design though - the heart of a network analyser is in its reflection bridges, synthesisers, gain and phase measurement engines etc. I presume you're planning an RF design? (There are a few audio/LF designs on the 'net) What frequency range? Thanks to the wireless revolution, there's a bunch of RF IC's available that would make a low cost DC-2.5GHz design quite plausible.

Good luck!

Ok. fine so can you please suggest me the controller which i can use for this purpose.... I dont want advanced measurement purpose... just using for micro strip antenna design analysis and for that 2.5GHz will do....

Any one of Analog Devices/Texas Instruments DSP lineup would likely fit your bill. Navigating the development software and interfacing to them can be a non-trivial excerise though! Given your familiarity with the '877, I'd probably suggest one of the Microchip dsPIC family as a good way to go - they seem to offer a nice blend of numerical horsepower with IO convenience, all from within MPLAB :)

There's a couple of published VNA designs around that might provide some insipration:
http://www.realhamradio.com/n2pk-vna.htm
http://sdr-kits.net/DG8SAQ/VNWA/Baier_VNWA2_QEX.pdf

Although for lower-precision (i.e. minimal superheterodyne-type frequency translation steps) work at 2.4 GHz, this was more the type of device I had in mind:
http://www.analog.com/en/rfif-components/detectors/ad8302/products/product.html

Sounds like a cool project - enjoy!

Reactions: demetal

demetal

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back