Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need to slow down a current loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

mouse86

Newbie level 3
Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a small steering poke that outputs 4/20mA and a small engine that uses 4/20mA to determine what position it should be.

Now the signal transition from the poke is going too fast. E.g. when a full turn is done by a user (say from 4->20mA) the engine goes way to fast to his endpoint@20mA and damages mechanics since the power of the engine.

So I created some hardware that inputs 4/20mA (ADC) from the poke and outputs 4/20mA (DAC) to the engine.

Now, when there is a full turn done by the user with the Poke I want to reach the endpoint in about 6 seconds. In this time there should be a soft start and a slow-shutdown. This is mostly to prevent all the mechanics for a major blast.

So the signal should increase slowly (soft-start) like a x^2 and end slowly like a Square root.

I tried different thinks in MathLab, but it isn't going very well since I do not know what the best is what I can do. Can anyone supply me some kind of formula? Or give me some tips?

This is what I've now:

calculation = ((lastSample)*0.90+ (newSample) *0.1)
// above draws a nice slow-stop, it is actually some kind of low-pass

// with this below I was trying some things to built a soft-start, but it failed
if (calculation > lastSample + maxIncrease)
lastSample = lastSample + softstart;
softstart = softstart + 0.01;
end

but now I don't know how to continue.

To get a smooth position control, that's also continuous in first derivative, a higher order (2nd or 3rd) low-pass is the most simple solution, I think.
It can be achieved by a simple analog circuit. For an exact limitation of inertia moment, an upper bound for the 2nd signal derivative should be set.

Do you maybe have an example of such a filter in Mathlab or C?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back