Need to build a good atmega-32 USB programmer!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

evilheart

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi

i want to start programming on AVR , specially atmega-32 ,

i have done projects before on it , but as simulation .

i want to make a USB programmer , that can run well on laptops specially , i have these choices now :

- the 1st google result USBasp

fischl.de - USBasp - USB programmer for Atmel AVR controllers

it's fine , popular , but it seems many users had problems with it specially with laptops , and i read that it has its own protocol , not the official STK500v2.
also the PCB offered on the site doesn't seem that easy for homemade , except for the USBasp_gr which doesn't have zener diode , and i read that may cause many problems.

my conclusion : USBasp seems nice but a bit buggy with laptops maybe.

- AVR doper

**broken link removed**

i felt it's not that popular , but it's nearly the same circuit , it seems that the difference is the firmware , this one uses STK500 protocol , the PCB looks easy and nice , and no SMD components there.

but as i said it isn't that popular , and i need someone used it before to give me his opinion and review.

note :i know someone may mention AVRusb500 , but it uses a special components , i don't think that i can find such components in my city.

waiting for your replays , and any help is appreciated.

-

I had tried both of them.

I does not had any problems till date using USBASP. There are pcb layouts which use only through hole components available free on net.

I prefer usbasp as it is updated regularly than avr doper.

thanks nandhu015 for your review

you say that USBasp is better because of the regular updates , but does that have a large effect on their performance ? regular updates doesn't necessary mean great changes ,

also AVR doper attracts me more , may be because it uses the official standard so it can be used from AVR studio directly.

but as you have used both , is their a difference in reliability and features? you said you didn't have problems with USBasp , but what about AVR doper?

also can you send some of easy USBasp PCB layouts (EAGLE files if possible) ? those on the site are not really that easy!!!!

another thing :

if i made AVR doper , is it possible to change its firmware to the one of USBasp? their circuit is near each other.

AVR Doper too have no problem at all.

Regarding changing firmware, I think it is not possible unless the author uploads a new one.

I dont have a pcb files. I downloaded it from the net and used it.

I would certainly recommend the USBasp due to its poularity and ease of construction , ease of using, with updated firmware available freely as to faciltate the programming of 89Sxx chips too. A complete thread with 5 pages is available for you guidance, sugessions and to post your experiences.
https://www.edaboard.com/threads/157151/
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.