Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help starting a security system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acez

Newbie level 4
Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone I am Ace and I just joined this great forum.

I am originally from Computer Science background but electronics and its practicality of things is seriously gaining its control over me.

So I've been meaning to make a security system for a long time but I have no knowledge as to how to proceed about it.

What I want to make is a fancy (layman terms since I am a CS student) security key system in which a user enters his password and the door unlocks.

It will be a door lock system. All I know that it should have a decent display saying whether the user is accepted or not, a keypad terminal, a microprocessor, a motor to lock and unlock to rod which goes in ensure lock (this is flexible since its the hardware)

What I don't know is - which microprocessor should I use to do this? I don't know how to attach a display to a microprocessor to get things done? I don't even know if I should use a microprocessor at all?

Basically, if you were to teach your kid the simple and basic electronics as to how to build a good security system like that just for fun sake, that's the way I think you should teach me to understand for this.

Plus, I also wanted to know - How can I implement Java in microprocessors? I mean, are there are microprocessor where JVM comes pre - installed(see, I know this sounds stupid!)?

Please, all this curiosity is killing me..

Last edited:

After reading the above post, I've learned that
1. ATmega8 is a micro-controller. What I did not understand: A microprocessor is a single object, whereas a micro-controller comes with other chips combined on a PCB?
2. AVR is a assembly language. What I did not understand: For which microprocessor/controller is this AVR assembly language for? Is it for everyone or for some limited controllers?

The NanoVM for Asuro replaces the original firmware of the Asuro with a Java virtual machine capable of running a subset of the virtual machine command set.
This means that the controller originally came with a firmware. So, where do I buy this controller with I want to buy with the JVM installed?

Questions

1. Don't controllers come with JVM pre-installed?
2. If they do, what are these controllers then called? Like do they have special names or something?
3. If the controllers don't have JVM, what do they have?
4. What if I were to do all of this in C or C++? Not that I have anything against Java, on the contrary, I love Java

Last edited:

Check out Cool components. There you will find ready built micro based boards to get you started with stuff like touch screen displays.

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back