Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My favourite electronic design software (thought I'd share!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreaseLightning

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
As a long-time edaboard reader, electronics fanatic, short-term DiY tinkerer **broken link removed**, I’ve been through more than my fair share of electronic design packages over the years. Some were paid - thinking paying money guaranteed quality, which I’ve learned it doesn’t - others were free - some bad, some great, others middling - but now that I have a fairly steady list of go-to favourites and recommendations, I thought I’d put those torturous ‘Why can’t I export this file?!’ and ‘What does this button do?’ hours to good use and share a few of my favourites. Hopefully this is useful for someone!

1. EagleCAD
EagleCad is a super afforable option which features an exhaustive library of components and footprints, which is probably what makes it one of my favourites. That’s not to say it’s free from criticism, mind you: this isn’t for beginners.

Why do I say this? EagleCAD isn’t all that easy to pick up, or learn for that mattered. This mostly comes down to its dated UI - you’ll learn to look past it, I swear - which can lead to usability issues the likes of which I haven’t seen since those old 90’s PC software packages. It might sounds like I’m bagging on one of my top picks, which while I kinda am, its steep learning curve is more than worth persevering through.

How so? For one, EagleCAD has better pre-built component support than the likes of Altium - which is some achievement - plus a much nicer price tag: Free. Though it’s worth noting that the free version only lets you work with two layers, and a 80mm x 100mm area. If you’re after more than that, then you’ll have to pay. Personally? I handed over the cash pretty quick, but I’d definitely recommend you give the free version a go to start with to see if you’re one of those that can look past those decidedly 90’s aesthetics and user experience.

Available at:

2. AutoCAD
There’s a reason AutoCad is one of the most popular / well known options around - it just works. It’s that simple. Customisable, lightweight, and as easy to pick up as it is to study, AutoCad is as straight-forward a piece of software as you’re likely to find.

I’m a big fan of AutoCAD’s design and execution. Shit just works! Not only that, it comes with a robust set of tutorials, a burgeoning, supportive community, and a interface-free workflow that makes it possible to do almost anything without resorting to the UI. Just run all your commands via shortcuts. It’s great!

Available at: https://www.autodesk.com/products/autocad/overview

3. DesignSpark PCB
I’ll say it - DesignSpark PCB might just be the most accessible piece of electronic design software I’ve ever used. It’s as if someone looked at EagleCAD and went ‘Yo, let’s make the exact opposite of this thing’, and they did it!

While it might not look like much on the surface, dig a little deeper and spend some time with ti and you’ll quickly see why. Not only is it hella easy to learn, it’s designed to help you reduce the time it takes to turn your project ideas and concepts into a final, production-ready design. Pretty cool, right?

The heart of this approach is**broken link removed** software engine, which lets you capture schematics, as well as prototype and iterate on intricate PCB board designs. It also boasts an unlimited number of schematic sheets for your project, and up to 1M squared of work space. Better still? There’s no layer limits, either!

Available at: https://www.rs-online.com/designspark/electronics/eng/page/designspark-pcb-home-page

4. Fritzing
You knew I’d have to pick *something* from the open-source community, right? Fritzing is, if not the greatest, then at least one of the most interesting pieces of open-source design software doing the rounds at the moment. Aimed more at the hobbyist and DiY designer - hello, yes, that’s me! - Fritzing is a great way for beginners to learn about electronic circuits, document projects, and even take those ideas and concepts right through to production. There’s an awful lot of power here!

Available at: https://fritzing.org/home/

5. Osmond PCB
From time to time I end up using a MAC, for various reasons. Some of them crazy - I just kinda feel like a change - and others more understandable i.e. Work. As such, I thought I’d throw in one of my favourites for non-Windows users.

Osmond PCB is exactly this. It’s pretty well regarded within the design community, mainly for its flexibility. Which is what drew me to it in the first place. It features a near-unlimited board size, a maximum resolution of 10 nonometers, as well as the ability to create boards of almost any shape or size. It also supports through-hole and surface mount parts, which is a nice added bonus!

Available at: https://www.osmondpcb.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back