Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

multimeter for car

ayeshakhan3

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want multimeter for my car that can handle a variety of tasks such as
measuring voltage,
current,
resistance,
possibly more advanced features like diode testing and continuity.

I am searching on a website, but I can't decide what to order.

Here you may get some suggestions: https://www.motor1.com/products-services/auto-products/automotive-multimeter/
I think fluke automotive multimeters will fulfill your expectations.
Also, if you want to increase the security of your car to prevent it from being stolen, here are some tips for you:

I like the little mechanical multimeter because you can still measure volts and amps even if the battery dies.

Harbor Freight sometimes has good deals on meters with more functions like temperature (included thermocouple), frequency (handy if no tach), capacitance.

Hi,

I buy a mutlimeter on technical specifications like:
* Voltage range DC; AC
* current range DC, AC
* resistance range 2Wire, 4Wire
* frequecy range
* tolerance
* and so on..

I don´t understand what on "car voltage" is different than on "other voltage"

Klaus

For a car I find that a 12v light bulb with long leads and croc clips is better to use than a multimeter.

Most multimeters will not handle real high current, like starter cranking amps as example.

That being said you can buy shunts that will allow you to measure very high currents, eg. the V at the shunt, and
given it has a known resistance, compute current = V / R.

View attachment 192750

Also available are these for battery work :

1722346331921.png

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:
Really??? Please don’t work on my car’s electrical system.
For general purpose use a light bulb is often better as it gives less confusing results than a multimeter. Obviously if you are doing technical work then a multimeter is a must. Another problem if you keep a multimeter in the boot of your car is that they can deteriorate after time and when you need to use them they don’t work or need a new battery. (Speaking from experience). With a bulb you get no such problem.

For general purpose use a light bulb is often better as it gives less confusing results than a multimeter..
If you're confused by a multimeter, maybe you shouldn't be working on a car; you could hurt yourself. Sure, a light bulb can indicate if voltage is present, and that's about it. It can't tell you WHAT the voltage is, it can't measure current, it can't tell you if a bulb or fuse is burned out. Furthermore, the OP's original request was for a meter that can measure voltage, current and resistance.

@OP, as you can see there is differentiated opinion as to the value of
a very simple and more complex measuring gear. Both of which have
value, and have been used by mechanics, especially the simple bulb
indicator (for far more years than DVMs).

But no one has addressed how much current, same for voltage (ignition V
anyone), accuracy, frequency, pulse width, CAN buss, Temperature, flow,
specific gravity, lumens, dimensions ...........

Its all good. Keep you bulb tester, get a DVM (it will not measure all possible
V's, currents, R's you will run into), get whats needed as your needs
evolve. The DVM is like the bulb tester, neither solves all your needs, each
can help in specific situations.

If you're confused by a multimeter, maybe you shouldn't be working on a car; you could hurt yourself. Sure, a light bulb can indicate if voltage is present, and that's about it. It can't tell you WHAT the voltage is, it can't measure current, it can't tell you if a bulb or fuse is burned out. Furthermore, the OP's original request was for a meter that can measure voltage, current and resistance.
You make a great point! Safety is paramount when working on a car, and understanding how to use a multimeter correctly is crucial. A light bulb is indeed very basic and can't provide the detailed information a multimeter can, like measuring specific voltages, currents, or resistances. Thanks for highlighting the importance of using the right tools for the job. I appreciate your insight!

There's good reasons to keep the leaded light bulb
in the road kit. Like that you can tell what's up with
one hand and one eye (if one lead has an alligator
clip) which is handy when you're on your back with
two inches of clearance.

I have one that's a real tool w/ pointy end and bulb
inside the Lexan handle. You can tell live ground, hot
power or nothing much, by simple motions & connections.
That's often enough.

I just want to remind what the OP asked for:

measuring voltage,
current,
resistance,

Does anyone want to confirm that the "lamp" can fulfill the requirements?

I could recommend a 12V soldering iron ... it can help to fix a broken wire .... it may be useful, but not what the OP is asking for.

Klaus

My car's dashboard has a built-in digital voltmeter. I suppose the manufacturer decided Volts are easy enough to measure and display. Every so often it gives me an alert that prompts me to examine the system further.

I've picked up a digital multimeter at a Sears store on sale cheap. It has the useful functions for electronics or home or automotive use. I see similar DMM's carried in local automotive parts stores.

One thing for which we require an unusual meter... High Amperes in the starting and charging system. The JC Whitney mail order catalog had an item which I purchased called 'Inductive current meter'. It's really a compass-type unit in a plastic housing. It's not exact and the needle swings back-and-forth a lot, but it once allowed me to diagnose a neighbor's car having trouble starting because of the starter motor drawing extreme current.

I too :

I just want to remind what the OP asked for:

Confirming we do not know the total requirements the OP wants or needs,
and he has not stated that. Because he does not know that per original
measuring voltage,
current,
resistance,
I can confirm, having spent many hours underneath cars, troubleshooting electrical,
the simple bulb probe quite handy per Dick's comments. And it has great viewing
angle, equally valuable, which DVMs still largely suffer from poor angle. And grossly
confirm a load/continuity of the power supplied in that connection.

So posters have given some good advice to get started, with a range of options,
utility, capability, including posts # 6, 8,10, 16....

Knight.

Last edited:
Hi,

What is unknown?

Voltage .. in a car. DC 12V nominal. So even a 30V range will do --> every multimeter I know can
Current .. here an information about the range really would be useful. But in any case no multimeter I know is desgned to measure starter current. One would rather use a clamp meter for this.
Resistance .. in a car. 1 Ohms (maybe less) up to 100k --> not hard to find. Most multimeters can
Diode testing .. car or not does not matter --> not hard to find
Continuity: can be done with diode test

We don´t know the values .. but we know the application. So we already know a lot.

Klaus

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: