Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multifunction tester

Gaber Mohamed Boraey

Full Member level 4
Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello
Please see this photo as I've just purchase this tester and I don't think it's like my expectations before I buy

Anyway, I bought and need your opinion about it

It came without manual, so I don't know the range at which this device work, as I've noticed that it work fine with some components and not with others
As you see at the pboto6, I test IGBT and it only read doide, I test Thyristor and it only read resistor
While I measure mosfet 20N60, it read right
How you think?, is it a bad component which give fault readings?, or the device can not recognize?
As that IGBT I just purchase from local supplier and I already installed in the machine and it does its job, so why device give wrong read?

IMG_20240820_181647.jpg

These are low end testers. so they do not check anything that is or requires high voltage.
Like breakdown V in the 100's of volts. They are simply very gross testers.

As you can see in the manual they dont even tell you what I and V they test at. User enters no part info, like
part number, specs. Very gross tests. Systems that truly test a parts specs in the $100's of thousands.

Its not a Mercedes, it is a scooter missing the wheels and handlebar.

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:
These little testers are very useful devices, although it is true they don’t test the full range of parameters of the device under test they do give a simple good or bad indication of the device and are very useful in fault finding. They do have problems with some types of MOSFETS or similar devices. The main problem in using them is ensuring that you have made a good connection with the leads.

These little testers are very useful devices, although it is true they don’t test the full range of parameters of the device under test they do give a simple good or bad indication of the device and are very useful in fault finding. They do have problems with some types of MOSFETS or similar devices. The main problem in using them is ensuring that you have made a good connection with the leads.
You mean if fault readings maybe because bad. Contact between the mosfet and the device?

You have to consider they use a small MCU (mine uses an ATMEGA328P) which runs on low voltage. Basically they try different combinations of connection to find out what the device is but can only apply a small voltage to see what combinations appear bidirectional (capacitor, inductor, resistor) and which only conduct on one direction (diode, scr, bipolar and mosfet). Repeating the measurement after a short delay will differentiate between resistors/semiconductors and reactive components.
Anything needing more than about 3V to make it conduct will read as an unrecognized component. They are excellent little gadgets for quick tests as long as you acknowledge their limitations.

For more comprehensive checks you have to use the test model in the components data sheet.

Brian.

It came without manual, so I don't know the range at which this device work, as I've noticed that it work fine with some components and not with others
For good quality measurement work, I would never buy such cheap s**** stuff.
Return it back if you not missed the deadline.

Maybe, try swapping over the test leads to the device under test. Test the tester by shorting out any two of the leads and them another two of the leads.
I think it's connected good, I think it's the limits of the tester just can not reach the component values and then give only what parameter he see in the component

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back