Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

mplab icd2 debugger invalid Device ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

itaygol1

Newbie level 2
Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
as part of my project I'm facing some problems while trying to establish connection with the MPLAB ICD 2 debugger.
when i'm using the Microchip board everything works just fine (debuger, programmer), but when i try to connect in a debug mode to my own design I get constantly an error message Warn0020:Invalid Target device id(expected=0x93,read=0x01).

"Connecting to MPLAB ICD 2
...Connected
Setting Vdd source to MPLAB ICD 2
ICDWarn0020: Invalid target device id (expected=0x93, read=0x01)
...Reading ICD Product ID
Running ICD Self Test
...Passed
"

do you have any idea why does this error accures ?
do you know where i can find an error list in order to understand deeper what is the problem ??
Thanks.

itay goldoft , hardware engineer (EE, TEL AVIV UNIVERSITY)

Hi,

You can download the ICD2 manual from here https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/devicedoc/51331b.pdf
Assume you have wired things up as shown in that manual.

If things worked on a dev board but not your own board then its likely you have got things wrong on the PGC / PGD lines.

Do you have anything else connected to those lines other than the ICD2 ?

Have you got anything else connected to Mclre other than the ICD2.

What Microchip board and what Pic chip are you using ?

haks for the quick response.

I didnt connected anything else to the PGC/PGD.
it is connected directly.
The chip I use is pic18lf2455.
furthermore, after promgraming the chip on release state (microchip board), the code run successfully in my own board. (this is how I know that the clk and the other enviorment is working well).
but when i tried to program on debug state on the microchip board, it didnt connected to my own board with he following error : ICDWarn0020: Invalid target device id (expected=0x93, read=0x01)

I did connected a reset button (switch) to the MCLR.
it is connected with two resistors as mentioned in the attached image.
(R1=10Kohn, R2=10ohm)

thanks again for helping me in this issue.

- - - Updated - - -

by the way the board i'm using is
picdem 2 plus.

haks for the quick response.

I didnt connected anything else to the PGC/PGD.
it is connected directly.
The chip I use is pic18lf2455.
furthermore, after promgraming the chip on release state (microchip board), the code run successfully in my own board. (this is how I know that the clk and the other enviorment is working well).
but when i tried to program on debug state on the microchip board, it didnt connected to my own board with he following error : ICDWarn0020: Invalid target device id (expected=0x93, read=0x01)

I did connected a reset button (switch) to the MCLR.
it is connected with two resistors as mentioned in the attached image.
(R1=10Kohn, R2=10ohm)

thanks again for helping me in this issue.

- - - Updated - - -

by the way the board i'm using is
picdem 2 plus.

Hi,

To me everything looks ok with your circuit.
I only use the Pickit2 debugger, but don't think there is anything that different.

One thing that might be the cause is the distance from the ICD2 to the pins on the 18F, sometimes I find if its greater then 6" /150mm you can have strange problems even programming.

The fact that you can program in your board and debug on the dev board, must be missing something obvious ... ?

If thats not it keep replying so your post stays on top..

Status
Not open for further replies.