Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MOSFET transistor analysis

dolgaleb

Member level 1
Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am trying to find the drain current for a circuit employing the MRF1517 transistor. Below is what I have done so far.

Since I have not being able to either include the circuit in an attachment or paste it in here, I will provide a description of the circuit since it is very simple.

First, the gate has a 2000 ohms connected to it; the other side of this resistor goes to a 2 V DC source.
Second, the transistor's drain is connected to a 6 V DC power supply.
Third, the transistor's source is grounded.

Vth = 1 V

VS = 0V VD= 6V VG = 2V

VGS = 2 V VGD = -4V VDS = 6 V

For transistor to be in saturation mode the following must be true:

• VGS > Vth 2 >1 ok
  • VGD < Vth -4 < 1 ok
  • VDS ≥ VGS – Vth 6 ≥ 2 – 1 = 1 V ok
So the transistor is in amplification mode.

How do I find the drain current? In Amplifier mode the drain current is given by:

ID= 0.5 [Kn’ W/L(VGS – Vth)2]

I have VGS and Vth but I don’t know the Kn’ W/L factor. Any ideas as to how to find the current?

Not really, although it wouldn't hurt to have it.

What I need are the equations or methodology to find the drain current of the circuit.

Since Vgs(th) always has a wide-tolerance and a tempco for RdsOn , there is a wide tolerance on Id.

Gate Threshold Voltage
(Vds= 7.5 Vdc, Id = 120 μAdc)
Vgs(th) = 1.0min 1.7typ 2.1max Vdc

In the saturation region, Ids = ß * (Vgs - Vt)^2 / 2
Beta or k is somewhat inversely proportional to Rds

To determine the current, you have to measure with something like a 50 mV shunt resistor for max current swing on Vdd or a current sense IC.
Then you regulate Vgs to achieve your target current.

To get Rds = 50 Ohms = 6V/120 mA you need 120 mA

To get Id = 1.5A you need a good heatsink and Rds= 6/1.5 = 4 ohms

Then you may need to regulate Vgs from 2 to >3V to match your target current and output power.
Often twice the threshold voltage is needed as a rule of thumb.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: