Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mosfet and IGBT dynamic test

Gaber Mohamed Boraey

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone
We all know how to test mosfet and IGBT static test, with multimeter, how about dynamic test ?, how this can be done?, as I think the dynamic test can show us the component ampere and voltage withstand within load

I need test the part after purchase from supplier, to be sure it will Not cause problems for me later, in other words, to be able to know that the part is original or fake?

I’ve done some little search, and found something is called double pulse test, is there any other way used?,

I have function generator , oscilloscope, multimeter , and Variac , and 12v automotive lamp only the schematic of test circuit I need
Can you help?
Can you help?

There is a myriad of tests that can be performed. So you need to be a little more
specific about what tests you want to be performed.

Note static tests, on actual production tester, much more than just a multimeter.

As an aside you have safe area curves to design to, which I think is what you are
referring to here ?

as I think the dynamic test can show us the component ampere and voltage withstand within load

Regards, Dana.

There is a myriad of tests that can be performed. So you need to be a little more

Note static tests, on actual production tester, much more than just a multimeter.

As an aside you have safe area curves to design to, which I think is what you are
referring to here ?

Regards, Dana.

let's say IRF3205 how to dynamic test?

Thanks Dana for your care to respond to the post

But I no need see the characteristics of the mosfet or IGBT, I need know if it work normal under load or no, in other words it will damage under load or work normal and that load is within the mosfet parameters specified at the data sheet

let's say IRF3205 how to dynamic test?
Did you read the datasheet?
It rather clearly shows the testing method and the test conditions and even some test circuits .. for each parameter specified in the datasheet.

What information do you miss?

I´ve worked for a company that designes production tester for semiconductors. These test machines perform the tests according the given parameters and conditions.
Thats how the manufacturers test their devices.
And if you want to do the test on your own you only can compare the results to the datasheet values if you keep on these test parameters and test conditions.

Klaus

So easy to do the MOSFET V's and compare against datasheet.

Also easy, if you have a current probe, to look at power and currents, the oscilloscope
guys like Tek, Agilent have ap notes on testing SMPS typically, look at them.

Thermals obviously take a T probe of some sort.

Tester manufacturers, for semiconductors, offer board level testers, as well as component,
google "semiconductor test equipment manufacturers". Price tags in the $100's of K come
to mind. Like https://www.teradyne.com/semiconductor-testing/#

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: