MathGeek

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
voltage convert micro voltage

Hello,

I am looking for ideas with regards to creating a small (less than 3 cm) voltage converter that can output several kilovolts. Very low current requirement (mA).

It will be used to create a walking robot actuated with dielectric elastomers.
Any help appreciated.

Do you wish to buy it, or design one yourself?

Here's one manufacturer:
**broken link removed**

MathGeek

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: Micro sized Voltage converter (kilovolts) needed for a r

Thanks for the link.

While the product mentioned can be useful for a larger robot, for the size that I am working on, that seems too big and, more importantly, too heavy (4.25g is a lot.) But it definitely can be useful for larger projects that I might work on.

Does anyone know the price on this item?

I am part of a robotics research lab and I was thinking of building one myself, one that is about a 1 gram or two, but definitely under 3.5g.

Of course if there is an acceptable solution on the market, buying one is a good option, as long as the price is reasonable.

Any ideas for building one?

Provided, you found a suitable DC/DC converter, I expect as a next question: How can I switch kV DC? I think it would be better to raise the problem as a whole and try to design a suitable switched respectively pulsed actuator driver, considering load characteristic and required timing. Very low current requirement (mA) is much too vague as well as several kV voltage, a few mA could imply 10 or 20 W DC power.

Good points:

Right now, I am at just a brainstorming stage. Pardon me for being vague.

Regarding the current requirement,
the current consumption requirement is mA at several volts (3.6V if Li-Poly).
I meant to say uA at output.

Switching is a very legit question, and I am only looking for 1~2Hz switching (on/off, no fancy PWM).

I need to go somewhere right now, but I will get back to this issue.

Thanks.[/i]

µA sounds much more agreeable, but also makes a specialized HV driver appearing more obvious, cause it's more unlikely to find a matching commercial device.

Yes, custom built high voltage converter sounds more reasonable.

I was thinking of some sort of 20 stage Cockroft Walton multiplier, but I do realize this is not exactly an elegant solution, and I was wondering if anyone has a better idea.

Efficiency over 60% would be nice.

edit: that is 20 stage in addition to some sort of preliminary voltage increase, either by IC or micro transformer.

I think, a practical limit would be by the voltage capacity of small diodes 300 - 400 V, which sets the maximum voltage for a cascade stage. For this voltage level a small transformer in flyback-mode would be most suitable, E5.3 or E6.3 are the smallest standard ferrite cores the should be considered.

Is a transformer the most ideal solution?

There is a guy in our lab who does micro transformer stuff, and he actually did not recommend transformers because he thought it
is low efficiency and I should not have a reason to use it for my low-current application.

We have pretty exotic tools at the lab, and he was trying to fabricate a piezo crystal transformer from scratch. (He was making a piezo core himself with a micro laser cutter we have)

I am welcoming any good ideas.

I don't see, why a transformer should be low efficieny, it may have unsuitable size. Piezotransformer isn't bad - particularly if you are able to manufacture it exactly to your requirements.

DEAR Brother
if u use pulse transformer good for you or not?
a lot of pulse transformer the rate from few volts to more than 30kv
thanks
Dr.NASER

Anything would be good for my application as long as it is small and generates 5kV.

I am not a power electronics guy, but I am willing to take suggestions and learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…