Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Metal enclosure needed for offline SMPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupoftea

Advanced Member level 5
Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi ,
Do you agree, that an isolated offline SMPS cannot pass EU/UK USA radiated emissions compliance testing unless it is in a metal enclosure? (this might just be a plastic enclosure with a complete metal foil lining.

The following document by Meanwell, referenced in their IRM-15 power supply datasheet, basically confirms that no offline SMPS above say 5w can ever pass radiated emissions without being in a metal enclosure...
https://www.meanwell.com/EMI_statement_en.pdf
...Meanwell confess here that they actually EMC test their offline power supplies (for radiated emissions) in metal cabinets, like what they say the customer uses.

I believe we would agree, that the main reason the following offline PSU's are in metal cases is so they pass radiated emissions testing
https://www.meanwell.com/productSeries.aspx?i=16&c=6#tag-6-16

(the holes designed to allow ventilation but small enough to block below a certain wavelength of radiated emission)
In this , i am speaking of hard switched offline SMPS, not resonant ones.....(as you know, all offline SMPS > 75W have a hard switching boost pfc in, which even if quasi resonant, hard switches at turn off time....and isnt completely soft at turn on.)

I once worked for a company who had designed a world beating product, powered by an offline PSU in a plastic case, bought from China…..but couldn’t pass radiated EMC with it. They never realised that they only had to metal foil line the plastic case to pass radiated EMC……….they ended up selling the company off……..when I got there , I could see the signs of their desperation to pass radiated emc…they had purchased a super expensive near-field radiated emissions test apparatus….and they had a large device bolted to a bench, which they had been using to crack open other peoples offline plastic PSUs…so they could see what they weren’t doing to pass. But they never realised in time…and so came the sell off……all for the sake of a bit of metal foil lining!
...............................-------------
Hi,
...Its quite a situation with radiated emissions for offline SMPS. If your company's product is powered by an offline SMPS...then go onto your co's hard drive and fish out the offline SMPS's radiated emissions scan graphs....
....Thats right....you wont be able to find them.
These radiated scans are one of the deepest secrets of the company...only the owner and his most trusted staff will be allowed access to these scans.
The cost of a radiated emissions test is enormous...the cost of buying the test kit yourself (chamber etc) is totally unaffordable to most companys.
Ever offered to go along to the radiated emissions lab and carry out radiated emissions pre-compliance or compliance testing of your company's offline SMPS?.....you wouldnt have been allowed to go and do it.
Only the owner , or most trusted few, will be allowed to go and do it. If they dont know how to do it, then i find they call you up on the phone from the lab and ask for circuit mod ideas ....if it still fails, they just keep asking you for more ideas. I remember once recomending an "across the isol barrier" Y cap for an offline SMPS that didnt have one......the answer came back....."made it much worse!"..this was obviously a fib...when they returned, this "cross the barrier" cap had been included in the next build.

So i believe most agree that an offline SMPS for EU/UK radiated emissions testing needs to be in a metal case of some description.
....----
....So yes, but its interesting, ....Please add your thoughts to this....just imagine a company's product didnt comply with radiated EMC regs....then the standards bodys would take samples of the company's product, do radiated EMC tests on them...and ban their product, right?....As you know, this never happens. A Radiated EMC test on an apparatus containing an offline SMPS takes ages to do and costs utterly shed loads of money...and can only be done in super-expensive chambers which are pretty rare to find......the EMC antenna has to be moved all over the place to re-scan the product from different angles and elevations...then any failure peaks have to be re-scanned to see if they really are fails....takes ages and ages. So no standards bodies have organised radiated EMC testing for company products.
So many company's products simply dont comply with radiated EMC.....but what a small startup has to bear in mind, is that a big competitor may well sneak their product into a radiated EMC test...so that they can proove it fails....then they would put the small startup out of business by using their highly payed lawyers to do this.
..But even that rarely happens....because if you bomb your enemies...then your enemies may bomb you too. So in fact, in radiated emissions, as well as many other electrical standards areas....companys in a particular sector tend to have "amnestys", whereby neither criticises the radiated EMC (and other) failures of each other....and they live and let live. This often also happens with PFC (EN610000-3-2)...companys simply avoid using PFC on SMPS >75W...because all their competitors dont use it either....and neither criticises the other.
I believe we all know that the standards bodies (who answer ultimately to the governments), dont actually test samples of company products in order to see if they comply with radiated EMC regulations...as discussed...its just too expensive, and takes too long....there is a reliance on the goodwill of companys to oversee it themselves. I mean, Western Governments have suffered such a "dereliction of duty" such that the vast majority of the Western general electronics sector has been outsourced to companies in the Far East.....leaving gaping holes in Western capability.....i'm sure we all realise that Governments that behave like that, are far from having the "upright-ness" towards implementing measures to check and ensure products have the necessary radiated EMC compliance.

Thanks, the following document confirms that an hard switched offline SMPS cannot pass radiated emissions EMC testing without being in an earthed enclosure....

**broken link removed**

A prime reason for using an Earthed metal enclosure is that we want to prevent radiation from inside the equipment from spilling out. Without a metal enclosure, whether Earthed or not, there is little chance that an off-line switching power supply can ever comply with the radiated emission limits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back