Mechanical resistance of SMD vs THT resistor

GitRaccon

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi.
I design standard 2-layer PCBs. The plate will work in a car that may be driven in more difficult terrain, but not for extreme off-roading, but for moving around. The tile has dimensions of approximately 150x130mm, standard thickness is 1.6mm. There are 4 mounting holes - one on each corner and there is no possibility of supporting the PCB in the middle. There are several 12g relays on the board that control 4 DC motors (as heavier components). There is one common current measurement system for all motors (I know it has some limitations) based on a measuring resistor. And here I wonder whether the THT measuring resistor will be more reliable/resistant/safer, or if in the case of SMD I have nothing to worry about. I'm asking because I simply have mental concerns (e.g. about mechanical damage due to micro-bending of the PCB and heating/cooling cycles) when looking at the 2512 resistor, and a thick THT resistor is desirable, and THT seems to be a safer solution, especially since its damage disables all motors so this is very important component . I'm asking for opinions from someone more experienced

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…