Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mechanical resistance of SMD vs THT resistor

GitRaccon

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi.
I design standard 2-layer PCBs. The plate will work in a car that may be driven in more difficult terrain, but not for extreme off-roading, but for moving around. The tile has dimensions of approximately 150x130mm, standard thickness is 1.6mm. There are 4 mounting holes - one on each corner and there is no possibility of supporting the PCB in the middle. There are several 12g relays on the board that control 4 DC motors (as heavier components). There is one common current measurement system for all motors (I know it has some limitations) based on a measuring resistor. And here I wonder whether the THT measuring resistor will be more reliable/resistant/safer, or if in the case of SMD I have nothing to worry about. I'm asking because I simply have mental concerns (e.g. about mechanical damage due to micro-bending of the PCB and heating/cooling cycles) when looking at the 2512 resistor, and a thick THT resistor is desirable, and THT seems to be a safer solution, especially since its damage disables all motors so this is very important component . I'm asking for opinions from someone more experienced :)

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back