Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MCU application circuit for working while power loss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicholas

Member level 4
Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
work while power loss

Any reference for me about a circuit work for a short while when power lost? Of course It should backup power when alive. Anything about such a circuit will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: work while power loss

Nicholas,

Search for ” Uninterruptible Power Supply” on Google and you will find what you are looking for.

Ante :roll:

thank you for ur reply.
But, actually, I don't mean UPS. Just an AC to DC convert mains voltage to about 24VDC to power a circuit, say some MCU application circuit. And problem is the line to mains will be cut for a while, say up to 1 sec. So, how can I keep the DC voltage alive while AC loss?
I know using CAPs will do. I try to find some circuits like this for reference.

The cheapest solution would be two 12V gel cell batteries in series. A capacitor large enough would be expensive.

i've read about one circuit that uses 2 battery cells but not in series. and there's a diode to protect the backup battery from conducting to the load. unless the main battery losses its power, the backup battery will be able to power-up the load.

I wouldn't use batteries for just one second!
And there must be some charging circuit etc.
I would use large enough capacitors.
To avoid the very large charging current during power-on I would connect them through a Shottky diode and a resistor in parallel,so that the capacitors are charged slowly through the resistor and discharged when needed through the diode.

Its easy enough to get capacitors which have a very large capacitance. The only problem is that they often can't handle much more than about 2-3V max. If you got say a 1F aerogel or goldcap you could use a voltage pump to get the voltage you need when the power went out. I believe that you could use something like this only because you said that it was to power a MCU which I asume doesn't draw much more than a few milliamps.

**broken link removed** stocks some of these caps

I am a bit of a newbie to this stuff so if I'm completely wrong please don't hesitate to inform me of my mistake. :)

work while power loss

If the load will probably draw more than 20mA @ MAX. Is the use of battery the only choice?

It is as simple as this:
deltaV=time*Imax/C; deltaV is the voltage drop during discharge time .
thus C=time*Imax/deltaV
If time=1s;Imax=50mA;deltaV=3V(for example) then
C=1*0.05/3=16000uF.(quite feasible)
If the voltage drop may be bigger(depends on the minimum voltage required) ,the capacitor could be smaller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back