Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LTE/4g signal repeater.

xfractalx

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone, I have a question regarding the 4g signal in our farm.

At the garage at our farm, if I measure the 4G speed I get 60 to 70 mbps download. However, at the main house the speed wont go over 3 mbps. the house is around 400 feet away from the garages my question is how can I get that signal speeds to the house. would a 4g repeater work in this case?
Thank you.

You can use a 4G signal booster.That can amplify the existing 4G signal from the garage and extend it to the house.

You can use a 4G signal booster.That can amplify the existing 4G signal from the garage and extend it to the house.
Thanks for the reply, do I use another antenna to extend it to the house? I would guess it should not be an omni antenna as the distance is quite alot? most signal booster sets I see online are with one directional outdoor antenna and another indoor omni type antenna, but in my case I need to boost the signal away from the garages up to the house 400 ft away.

You can use a booster physically located half way, a kind of signal repeater, or you could try a directional antenna at the garages, that would leave you fee to move around at the house but have a stronger signal. I find explaining directional antennas is easiest by getting people to imagine the antennas are sticks rising from the ground and the strength of transmission is the length of a loop of string placed around them. If you make a circular loop with the stick in the middle, the string outlines the range to expect and it will be equal in all directions (omni-directional), if you pull the string to an oval you get more range in one axis and less in the other. If you pull it into a narrow loop with the stick at one end, it extends further in that direction but much less in the others. The area inside the loop, whatever its shape is where you get adequate coverage. The important thing to note is the narrower the loop the greater the range but unless you use a longer string (more power) you can't make the range greater no matter how tight you pull the loop. That explanation is rather simplified and doesn't take into account side lobes or terrain but it should give the general idea.

Brian.

Thanks for the reply, do I use another antenna to extend it to the house? I would guess it should not be an omni antenna as the distance is quite alot? most signal booster sets I see online are with one directional outdoor antenna and another indoor omni type antenna, but in my case I need to boost the signal away from the garages up to the house 400 ft away.
I think, for extending the 4G signal over a distance of 400 feet from the garage to the main house, using a directional antenna for both the outdoor and indoor units of your signal booster setup would be more effective than using an omnidirectional antenna indoors.

or extending the 4G signal over a distance of 400 feet from the garage to the main house, using a directional antenna for both the outdoor and indoor units of your signal booster setup would be more effective than using an omnidirectional antenna indoors
Awesome thanks for the reply's and explanation from Brian as well, I am going to order a 4g repeater and 2 directional antennas, later ill post the results here in case that helps anyone else.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: