Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Low-side gate driver does not propagate at high duty-cycle in buck design

nidare

Junior Member level 1
Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello!

I'm looking at a integrated buck design that in some corner cases will have to tolerate low dropout and the duty-cycle will approach ~90%.
There is a duty-limit circuit that will limit to roughly 90% but I see that the low-side gate-driver signal dies out right before reaching this limit in some corners, while the high-side gate-driver propagates all the way to the limit.

I have tried tweaking the lower side gate-driver to be able to propagate the narrow ON-pulses at 90% but this comes with some other negative consequences.

So my question then becomes:
What are the consequences of allowing the low-side gate-driver to die out at high duty-cycle, such that it is only the high-side output being toggled on and off?

Yes, it has a non-overlapping region for the gate driver that ends up swallowing narrow low-side ON-time pulses while narrow OFF-time pulses for the high-side continues to propagate.

Ideally, the non-overlapping region should be made narrower to not swallow the low-side gate driver but due to other reasons this is not that easy.

I guess the buck will start behaving asynchronous when the low-side gate signal is swallowed, and the body diode takes over for the low-side switch?
I'm trying to figure out if this is harmless or not, as I did not find a good way to tweak the gate-driver :D

I will look into if there is any significant efficiency degradation when the body-diode takes over.

You don't clearly tell if "dying out" of low side pulses is a simple effect of implemented dead-time, or if your driver has an additional minimal pulse width that abruptly cuts the output when deceeded.

A pwm output stage generally shows a current dependant error, a deviation between nominal duty cycle and average output voltage. The error increases with relative dead-time (ratio of dead-time and pwm period). The points in modulation transfer characteristic where one transistor stops switching show as additional non-linearity. Closed loop operation of the converter may become difficult beyond these points.

Without detailed schematic - hard to make any guesses - if the dying out is at the Vgs-thres you could have real trouble.

better to command the lower off and let the diode do the work id the D is < 10% and the diode heat is OK.

Thanks for the input guys, sounds like it needs a bit of attention.
I see some small but funky modulation of the output voltage as the low-side gate signal oscillates in and out of the region where it gets swallowed.

You don't clearly tell if "dying out" of low side pulses is a simple effect of implemented dead-time, or if your driver has an additional minimal pulse width that abruptly cuts the output when deceeded.

There is a circuit in place to abruptly clamp the duty-cycle, I think my main problem is that low-side gate is filtered by propagation delay in logic/swallowed by dead-time right before the clamping steps in, while high-side manages to propagate all the way to the clamping limit. I will see if I can sort that out.

Might add a back Schottky across the bottom FET to make the difference between sync and plain rect, less?
Unfortunately not an option, reducing the dead-time interval and increasing the duty-cycle limiter threshold seems to be the way to go (y)

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back