Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for (ideally) a PCI to LPC Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

svet-am

Newbie level 5
Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
lpc bridge

Don't know if this is the correct forum. If not, mods feel free to move it.

I've got a hobbyist project where the device I'd like to use (specifically, a TPM module) is only available as an LPC part. I'd like to put the TPM module on the PCI bus. I've searched and not found any LPC hosts (outside of Southbridge IC's) that can interface/bridge to PCI.

Is there a COTS solution for this or does it look like I'll be rolling my own with a CPLD or FPGA?

pci lpc

If you are talking about Low Pin Count then yes there are some solutions for you. Goto Winbonds website for more info on their W83967 series of IO expanders.

E

pci to lpc

nxtech: thanks for the reply, but that's not what I'm looking for. Yes, I'm looking for Low Pin Count. However, the part that you cited is a LPC Super I/O chip.

I'm looking for a bridge that appears to PCI as a standard client device on one side and can act as a LPC host on the other side. That's why I said a PCI-LPC bridge.

pci-lpc

Look closer at the datasheet and you will see that the part provides ISA performance which is what PCI was designed from. However if this part is not of use then look at the W83628 and W83629. They are not recommended for new designs but you should still be able to get some parts.

E

lpc vs pci

Yes, PCI replaced ISA but they are not the same at all.

Here's the pinout for ISA
http://pinouts.ru/Slots/ISA_pinout.shtml

Here's the pinout for PCI
**broken link removed**

I've designed for both in the past. They are NOT interchangeable. Not only based on the signals available, but electrically as well. Specifically, look at how ISA has separated data and address whereas PCI multi-plexes them.

ISA _is_, however, compatible with PC Card (also known as PCMCIA). Likewise, PCI is compatible with CardBus. (The specifics of how both standards are implemented in the same socket in a mobile device are beyond the scope of this post).

I'd like to go on record as stating that while I may be new to this forum, I'm NOT new to EDA and system design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back