Not open for further replies.

arbj2

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I usually make PIC based boards for my products, these boards have some inputs and outputs, a RS 485/RS232 port. But now I would like to avoid making hardware and instead buy a controller that has the above ports/GPIO etc. All I simply have to do is make the software.

So based on my requirements I need something with the following specs.

Micro-processor or micro-controller based module that has a RS 485 port, some GPIOs (optically isolated) and maybe an USB port, ethernet port. The system must also accept voltages from 12-30 VDC (standard industrial DC voltages). The electronics should also be housed in a suitable box, for easy installation in my end product.

For development tool C/C++ would be ideal...

Could anyone suggest where I could get such an item ???

Thanks
a

Get a PLC. Google Siemens Logo or Simatic.

Yes you have to consider the system which can give those things.
Because one controller can contain USB, ethernet, RS-232 and lot many more. but your controller price also go on increasing.
as you also given voltage level. Means it indicate you need a system which has voltage level of 12-30vdc, USB, RS-485 and so on...

thanks all for the inputs.

Both the PLC and microchip solutions look interesting.

Any idea how much the siemens logo plc costs ?? I need 8 digital inputs and 4 digital outputs, the LCD screen is not required...

The microchip board is quite compact but I will have to add isolation to the ports...

thanks
a

don't know any off the shelf development boards with opto isolators - we would use a small daughter board
for example, the Microsticks
https://www.microchip.com/Developmenttools/ProductDetails.aspx?PartNO=DM330013-2

come with a header that can plug into a standard prototyping board for any external circuits (we find this is very useful for student projects)
it also has an onboard programmer so you don't need an external programmer such as an ICD3

Siemens Logo is available from international catalog distributors, e.g. Farnell

**broken link removed**

I presume there are more economic competitor products from the Asian market.

Status
Not open for further replies.