Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED reliability supplied by PWM signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

boncker

Member level 2
Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

Is there any LED reliability problem if I put a PWM signal in the LEDs instead of DC voltage? I need to control the LED brightness.

This is to drive eight LEDs in series.

Thanks!

Infact it will INCREASE the life of your LEDs :)

You must limit the peak LED current to a safe level. Since the LED is pulsed, many people try to eliminate the current limiting resistor and rely on resistance of the driver and the duty cycle of the PWM to limit the current. This short cut has been known to have reliability issues. Several years ago, I was involved in a design that used this technique. The board worked ok in the prototype stage. However, in production a different vendors drivers were used. These had a lower on resistance and units started returning from the field with the LEDs open.

boncker

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Oh my goodness !

What were they thinking ? Saving a few cents ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back