LED question about choosing metallic contact of p type material as large as n type

Status
Not open for further replies.

aersoy

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In the book Electronic Circuit Devices and Circuit Thoery by Nashelsky and Bolestad 9th edition it says :

"The external metallic conducting surface connected to the p type material is smaller to permit the emergence of the maximum number of photons of light energy when the device is forward biased"

my question : what happens if we choose metallic contact of p type material as large as n type material so that the emergence of the light energy decrease.

thanx

Re: LED question

obviously if we choose the p type material as large as the n type material then the emergence of light energy decreases and this means reduction in the efficiency of the LED... already the efficiency of the LED is about 10%.... so this would mean there would be lot of wastage of energy....
which we normally dont prefer....

LED question

i already know and wrote that the emergence of ligh decreases.
what i wanna know is y it decreases.

Re: LED question

if the p type side conductor is made large then the resistance decreases and hence the amount of energy which is dissipated in the form of heat and light decreases i.e.number of photons emitted also decreases....

aersoy

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.