Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LDO phase margin?

mssong

Junior Member level 2
Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I'm designing an LDO and will be using the output as VDD for digital logic.

In this case, the output current will flow a large current of mA for a short period of time and then no current at all for the remaining long period of time. I was wondering if I should adjust the phase margin of the LDO to match the current flow of a few mA, even though there are many times when no current is flowing.

Be prepared for phase margin to vary widely / wildly with load and headroom. You might even toggle between two worst cases in a pulsed load application.

Topoligic choices bear heavily on this and simple ones can be most difficult to bring into line, "across all". Collect and read papers & app notes.

Low ESL means to reduce path Length/width ratio is also most important in layouts.
1725233402947.png

- lowering ESR*C is done by paralleling caps.

For production tolerances, the most difficult designs arise from high tolerances like 1 to 35 mV load regulation on 1A means 1 to 35 mohm which affects load error and BW.
1725233992357.png
of load

Last edited:
It's also important to take into account the parasitic inductance of the bondwires to the output cap. You can assume 1nH/mm as a rule of thumb.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: